The history of the 3rd batt. King's Own Scottish Borderers, 1798-1907 by Weir R. W. (Robert Walter)

The history of the 3rd batt. King's Own Scottish Borderers, 1798-1907 by Weir R. W. (Robert Walter)

Author:Weir, R. W. (Robert Walter)
Language: eng
Format: epub
Tags: Great Britain. Army. King's Own Scottish Borderers. Battalion, 3rd, Great Britain. Army
Publisher: Dumfries, Scotland : Courier and Herald offices

Dumfries, by Lieutenants 11. Keswick and Sir William Jardine, 1900. Bart., and two Sergeants. A large number of people were present. Lieutenant Keswick formally asked the Town Council to take charge of the Colours, and the Provost, in a patriotic speech, undertook, in behalf of the Council, to perform this duty, and expressed the hope that the Battalion w'ould soon return with an honourable record of good service done for the country. On February i6th ihc Battalion was medically inspected. After the men unfit for service had been sent home, the Battalion was reduced to six Companies. This was done by breaking up F and H Companies, and dividing the men among the other Companies. It continued to have only six Companies till it returned from South Africa. The Battalion was regarded in Belfast with the kindly feelings that are always shown there to a Scottish Regiment. These found expression in an entertainment given to the men on March 5th by the congregation of St. Enoch's Presbyterian Church. The Rev. C. Davey, on behalf of the entertainers, expressed hearty good wishes for their future in South Africa and elsewhere. Major Laurie, in replying, alluded to the fact that the Dumfries Militia were quartered in Belfast in 1812, and mentioned that he believed that there was still living in Dumfries a daughter of a former non-commissioned officer who could remember her stay in Belfast Barracks with the Regiment.* The Presbyterians attended divine service in St. Enoch's Church, and a special farewell sermon, preached by the Rev. C. Davey on February 25th, which was expected to be their last Sunday in Belfast, was afterwards printed and widely circulated. The final orders fixed March 8th as the day of their departure. On the forenoon of that day the Battalion paraded for the first time in khaki, and \vas inspected by Colonel Graves, Commanding the District. After the Battalion had marched past in column and quarter column. Colonel Graves said—" In wishing you God-speed and good-bye, I am glad to be able to pay you a well-deserved tribute for your good behaviour in the Barracks since you came to

* Note. —Afrs Palmer, daus^hter of Pipe-Major Saunders, who served in tiie Dumfries Militia during its embodiment in the early part of the eighteenth century, died at Dumfries, 26th June, 1900, aged 97. She was doubtless the last survivor of those who went with the Regiment to Ireland in iSii. She had many reminiscences of her life as a child with the Regiment. In the centenary year, through the kiudness of Colonel Hume, she was taken to visit the Battalion at Hannahficld, an episode which gave her great pleasure.


Copyright Disclaimer:
This site does not store any files on its server. We only index and link to content provided by other sites. Please contact the content providers to delete copyright contents if any and email us, we'll remove relevant links or contents immediately.